Curtis L. Olson writes:

 > So I'm probably miss reading something in the diagram.  I assume you
 > have a similar C172 manual ... perhaps you could find where the
 > navigation lights are powered from on your model and we could work
 > from that.

In the 1981 C172P, there is a circuit breaker off the primary bus
labelled "NAV LT" that goes to the navigation lights, control wheel
map light, and audio muting relay.  Here's the complete list of
breakers:

Primary Bus
-----------

  AIR COND CIR FAN
  - to air conditioning system or circulation fan system

  ALT FIELD
  - to master switch

  FLAP
  - to wing flap system

  PITOT HEAT
  - to pitot heat system

  INST
  - to ignition switch
  - to oil temperature gauge
  - to low-voltage warning light
  - to fuel quantity indicators and carburetor air temperature gauge

  INT LT
  - to door post map light
  - to dome and courtesy lights
  - to instrument, radio, magnetic compass, and post post lighting

  NAV LT
  - to audio muting relay
  - to navigation lights and control wheel map light

  BCN LT
  - to flashing beacon

  [cigar lighter has a direct connection to the primary bus]

  LAND LT
  - to taxi and landing lights

  STROBE AVN FAN
  - to strobe lights
  - to avionics cooling fan

  TURN COORD
  - to turn coordinator

Avionics Bus
------------

  [connected to primary bus through avionics master switch]

  RADIO 1
  - to radio

  RADIO 2
  - to radio

  RADIO 3
  - to radio

  RADIO 4
  - to radio or transponder and encoding altimeter

  RADIO 5
  - to radio

  AUTO PILOT
  - to autopilot

Note that many of the components, like the strobes, autopilot, and air
conditioning, are optional extras.

All the best,

David

--