Julian Foad wrote:
> It seems silly to have the "brake" key slam on full braking power, if
> it is to be used on the runway.  No wonder the aircraft tend to tip
> over or burst their tyres.  Can I recommend this patch which sets the
> "all brakes" strength to 0.5 and the individual left/right to 0.7?

This issue came up about a year ago.  There really isn't any good
resolution.  Sometimes you really do want full brakes (short runway
landings in the A-4, for example), and sometimes you want to brake
gently.  And IMHO asymmetric braking is more likely to be gentle, as
it's used for steering.

The only control input that makes sense for those requirements is an
analog axis from a brake pedal.  Anything else is basically a hack.

My favorite hack, FWIW, was to have the on/off input affect the
braking power slowly -- over a second or two.  That way you could
modulate the brakes yourself by changing the frequency with which you
toggled the button.  You can try this out right now with YASim, by
adding a control-speed tag for the braking inputs.  But it's still a
hack -- sometimes you want to release the brakes "right now", as with
short takeoffs.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA