Martin Spott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> > It is Open Source, while AC3D is commercial, but FlightGear really
> > doesn't care which tool you use.  [...]
>
> I had the impression these two tools target at different audience. Should
> Blender be capable of being used for 'real' 3D CAD as AC3D does ?

Depends on what you mean by 'real' 3D Cad i guess.  David has done both
c172's, and the j3cub in Blender.  The biggest drawback is the blender files
aren't in cvs and David doesn't use ac3d so if anyone offers a modification to
the ac file it can't be added directly in without making it impossible for
David to do further work on the model.  If I'm not mistaken the process to get
from Blender to flightgear is to save the file in blender,  run the file
through a conversion script to crate an ac3d file,  and then edit that file in
ppe to add name labels to objects.   I beleive another step required involves
sorting the alpha textured objects down the bottom of the list in a text
editor.  Also, there are things you can do in Blender that aren't supported in
plib yet, e.g. nurbs.

AC3D is a great program and I've used it for all my work, but it has two major
drawbacks, it's license fee and it's license.

Best,

Jim