At 11/12/02, David Megginson wrote:
Jim Wilson writes:

> If Blender becomes the "tool of choice", as it probably should, for developing
> FlightGear Models then it makes sense to have those files in the CVS directory
> with the ac files that are derived from them. The CVS is a development
> repository after all.

I'm already concerned about the base-package size. We need to start
thinking seriously about making most aircraft optional add-ons. It's
easy for me with a fast cable modem, but I don't want to scare away
regular users. If the DC-3 (for example) was its own, separately
downloadable package, then I'd have no problem including the Blender
and XCF sources with it.

All the best,

David
(flame suit on)

Some thoughts on the size of the base package.  I did a 'du -k' on
fgfsbase.  The results can be viewed here:
http://michael.selig.com/fgfs/021112-size.html

From this I get:

* The base package is about 100MB.  Over a cable modem, this is not a
  problem.  Over a phone modem, it is a nighttime chore.  I have not
  heard complaints from those downloading overnight, or from those who
  get it in a "flash" over a cable modem.

* I looked at the size of the dirs.  The output is given below (sorry
  for the length!).  When looking at this it's important to realize
  that the size of each nested dir is given, so don't be misled.  For
  example, this info

  10800   fgfsbase/Data/SkyClouds
  10820   fgfsbase/Data

  All the space (10MB) is obviously in SkyClouds, not 20MB total.

* I have included (in the link above) two versions of the same output.
  First in alfa order, and then in order of size.

* The entire Aircraft dir, takes up about 25MB of the space --- 25%.
  Topping the list is the Wright Flyer w/ 4MB and then smaller after
  that.  I doubt if these larger aircraft are ones that one would like
  to make optional (especially at this stage in the still early
  development of fgfs).  For example, here are the largest dirs in
  Aircraft:

Top 10
4060    fgfsbase/Aircraft/wrightFlyer1903/Models (4MB)
2604    fgfsbase/Aircraft/X15/Models (2.6MB)
1820    fgfsbase/Aircraft/747/Models (...)
1228    fgfsbase/Aircraft/sopwithCamel/Models/uiuc/sopwithCamel
1124    fgfsbase/Aircraft/asw20/Models/uiuc/asw20-stuck
1044    fgfsbase/Aircraft/j3cub/Models
908     fgfsbase/Aircraft/c172p/Models
660     fgfsbase/Aircraft/a4/Models
640     fgfsbase/Aircraft/c310u3a/Models
556     fgfsbase/Aircraft/c172/Panels

Next 2
280     fgfsbase/Aircraft/c172/Models
260     fgfsbase/Aircraft/airwaveXtreme150/Models/uiuc

* So if the top ten were optional, that would save about 15MB from the base
  package and 10 interesting aircraft would be downloaded separately.
  Is that worth it?

It's a flight simulator and I think people who download it are
expecting to have aircraft to fly immediately---several to choose
from.  To download things separately is going to be a hassle.  Until
people really start complaining, I'd say take a "wait and see
attitude".  Let's not throw the baby out w/ the bath water.

If space becomes an issue, I think there are bigger fish to fry, like
the SkyClouds dir(?).

Finally, it seems retro to take aircraft out of a flight simulator.

Regards,
Michael

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/

 Prof. Michael S. Selig
 Dept. of Aero/Astro Engineering
 306 Talbot Laboratory
 104 South Wright Street
 Urbana, IL 61801-2935
 (217) 244-5757 (o), (509) 691-1373 (fax)
 mailto:m-selig@;uiuc.edu
 http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/m-selig
 http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/m-selig/faq.html (FAQ)