David Luff writes:

 > With regard to ATC, there's at least one other person working on it
 > besides myself, but AFAIK no-one is attempting to model centre
 > control - I might have the terminology wrong there but I'm
 > referring to control of the airways away from airfield
 > tower/approach/departure control.

Here's how things work in Canada...

Control zones are quite small -- usually about a 5-7 nm radius around
an airport up to 3000 ft AGL and are class C if there's a tower with
radar or class E if there's not.  A terminal area (I think the
Americans still call it a TRACON) usually has around a 25 nm radius up
to, say, 10,000 ft (I don't have the charts with me to check) with
increasingly high floors as it moves out, sort-of like an upside-down
wedding cake.  Terminal areas are most often class D, so everyone (VFR
and IFR) still has to get ATC clearances but ATC does not provide
positive separation for VFR.

Outside of control zones and terminal areas at the lower altitudes we
have class E airspace along the airways and terminal area extensions
(major approach paths into the terminal areas) and mostly class G
elsewhere; I understand that there's little class G in the U.S.  In
class E, IFR traffic has to be talking to ATC (usually the centre
controller), but VFR traffic acts mostly as if it's in class G, except
for increased visual minima.  VFR traffic can request flight following
outside of a terminal area, in which case it talks to centre just like
IFR traffic but simply informs center of what it is going to do
instead of requesting a clearance (even centre gets confused -- when I
inform them that I'm going to climb or descend during VFR flight
following, I still sometimes get back "<new altitude> approved").

In reality, things are even more complicated; for example, Ottawa
terminal has taken over en-route most of the way to Toronto, so almost
100nm out of the Ottawa terminal area I'm still talking to Ottawa
terminal for flight following instead of Toronto Centre.  Ottawa
terminal airspace sort-of collides with Montreal terminal airspace,
and there's a pie-shaped chunk carved out of Ottawa terminal airspace
up to 4000 ft in the northwest to provide an uncontrolled practice
area.  There are often also low-altitude corridors to allow planes to
fly in and out of satellite airports without having to enter the class
C or D airspace of the terminal area or control zone.  The charts
(U.S. sectional or Canadian VNC) are fascinating reading once you
start to get the hang of them.

 > Additionally, if you're into graphs, movement, shortest paths
 > and all that, which is classical sort of AI stuff really, then there's
 > plenty of that to be sorted to get ground control working robustly.  I'm
 > plugging away at some textbooks now, but there's lots of work in that
 > that could be spread about.

If you read the online aviation discussion forums in the U.S., you'll
get the impression that ATC has little to do with shortest paths,
either in the air or on the ground.  My experience up here has been
different, but I don't know how much of that has to do with real
differences and how much is cultural (parts of the U.S. have a
long-standing cultural paranoia about authority, while we still
happily put ER II's face on our money up here).

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/