On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 22:07:48 -0000,
"Jim Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Jon Berndt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>

> > During ascent there was some ice that broke loose and impacted the
> > left wing underside near the elevon and the ice chunk disintegrated
> > on impact. There was some concern that the protective tiles that
> > cover the surfaces which are exposed to the most heat during reentry
> > might have been damaged. That concern was addressed and dismissed by
> > NASA before entry. However, in hindsight, perhaps that might end up
> > being viewed as premature. There are other "criticality 1" items
> > that could have played into this, though.
> >

> No doubt now that the focus will be on the left wing.  But I'm
> wondering, is there anything that could have been done had the
> assessment gone the other way?
>
> ..heavy sigh...

..I don't know, but we could try model it right now, to see if there
_are_ viable options, such as abandoning the launch, jettisoning the
tank and boosters somewhere (out towards the sea) and return for a
rather prompt landing, it would have prevented re-entry heat loads
to the airframe.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: