A very sad day indeed :-(. Our thoughts are with you, especially
relatives and those connected to the Shuttle.

Tony wrote:

>I find it a little hard to believe that a piece of insulation could have
>such an effect.  Those tiles are designed to be impact tolerant and it
>seemed clear from the press conference that this sort of thing has
>occurred several times before.

I did not see the press conference, but I think that in the past only
single tiles went missing. If the impact has removed several
neighbouring tiles, I would guess the heat will get to the metal
underneath...

>> Jon

Bye bye,
Wolfram.