> > Is it possible to use a metar file to give flightgear the current
> > weather conditions for the world.  Are there special setup or options
> > required to set this up?  Are there any mac os x compatible apps (java
> > probably ok, too) to download metar info periodically (from
> > http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/metar.shtml ) so that flightgear can
> > (possibly) use it?
>
> I was actually looking at this (on a complete whim) the other day. It
> looks to be fairly easy, if you can assume the existence of wget / curl
> on the system. Otherwise, you need to write a bit of FTP functionality
> (probably a trivial amount, though). Also, I didn't look at the actual
> weather code inside FG but based on the command line switches I think
> gluing it in will be doable.

The problem with the NOAA site is that the latest hourly update cycles are
hardly ever complete, so to get complete airport coverage, it's necessary to
scan back to the last filed report for each airport, which may be in the
previous cycle or even the one before that.  Either that, or interpolate more
widely between the airports actually available in the latest cycle, but I
suspect the delayed updates may be regional, so that approach might not work.

Mally

---