Recently I've been looking at potential solutions to doing a glass cockpit
display in flightgear.  The 2D panel system just doesn't provide anywhere near
the functionality to do it, so I've pretty much decided that isn't an option.

The two possible options that come to mind are as follows:

1) Use the current 3D Modeling system.  There are two critical things that
would need to be added to the modeling code in order to allow this.  First
would be a texture transform animation method.  The second would be the
ability to generate text textures to place on specific untextured polygons
that are part of the 3D model.  Specifying font style, size, and color in
properties would be good.  Basically thats about it.  There's probably
something it won't do or do well but that should get us about 90% of the way
with a workable display.

2) Take code from the opengc project and change it so that it gets data
directly off our property system (property paths configurable).  The idea then
would be to load these using Andy's panelnode code that currently loads the 2D
panel into 3D cockpits.  I'm thinking that these could be special 2D panel
types and there could be a separate panel class (inherited from a general) for
each glass display.  IIRC the panelnode is designed to handle multiple panels
simultaneously.(is that right?)  The biggest disadvanatge to this approach is
the displays from opengc would be hardcoded at least until an abstraction
method was designed (which brings me back to option 1 :-)).

Any comments?

Best,

Jim