Tony Peden writes:
> Huh!?!  Except at high power settings and low speed in a twin,
> engine failure should not cause a big upset.  Even then, if you're
> fairly quick to get on the rudder, it's generally very controllable
> (or should be, anyway...)

A friend of mine has a Frasca sim (cockpit enclosure, full working
panel, etc.)  It has a twin mode and I tried repeatedly to survive an
engine out on take off in one of their light twins (forget which one,
maybe a baron?) and had no luck; I hit hard every time.

I don't know about a real pilot in a real plane, but this sim took a
lot more coaxing than I had in me to even maintain altitude with an
engine out; if you let your airspeed drop below blue line[1] trying to
hold altitude, it get's real ugly real fast.

[1] Blue line is the speed below which the rudder cannot overcome the
torque effects of a single engine and you can no longer have
directional control.

I would guess that *many* designs (especially commercial jets) would
be much more survivable in those circumstances.  And they'd have the
added advantage of having a real pilot at the controls. :-)