You cannot update a release copy of the base package using CVs (unfortunately) since
it is missing all the CVS control files. You can however (I think) update a CVS
snapshot if you have one.

To start using CVS, you have to check out a new local copy (using the command in your
email above), hoever, this does not have to complete in one operation. Once it has
created the CVS directory in the root of the local copy, you can use the regular
update command "cvs -z3 up -dP" to carry on getting more. I used this technique to get
the base package in 10-20 minute chunks on a 56K modem over a couple of weeks.

Richard