Arnt Karlsen writes:

 > ..heh, and you the emacs'er balance that by running lean-of-peak?
 > ;-)

I am afraid that I do no understand your insinuation.  If I'm on the
side of the angels with one, should I not be on their side with both?

 > ..how far back can you drag it before it starts running rough?

Without carb heat, I can lean back to between 65% and 75% power,
depending on the day and how long the engine has been running.  With
carb heat on in cruise, I can pull it back much farther, probably
right to cutoff if I were so inclined.

The nice thing is that I have my Piper POH for backup:

  For Best Economy cruise, a simplified leaning procedure which
  consistently allows accurate achievement of best engine efficiency
  has been developed. Best Economy Cruise performance is obtained with
  the throttle fully open. To obtain a desired cruise power setting,
  set the throttle and mixture control full forward, taking care not
  to exceed the engine speed limitation, then begin leaning the
  mixture. The RPM will increase slightly but will then begin to
  decrease. Continue leaning until the desired cruise engine RPM is
  reached. This will provide best fuel economy and maximum miles per
  gallon for a given power setting.

It's easy to do this with a fixed-pitch prop, since the tach gives a
direct indication of power setting at any given density altitude.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/