I too maintain my own, and if you read a little way
back in the achives I mentioned you have to also
update FG/src/include/config.h, which arrives as
config.h-msvc6, with <something like> -

#ifndef  GLUT_H   // per MSVS install directory
#define  GLUT_H   <GL\glut.h>
#endif   // #ifndef  GLUT_H

Switching to .NET is not an option for all of us.

.NET will NOT install on a non-NT-based win-os,
thus, even though I have several home machines, Windows
XP refused to install in 2 of them, siting video in one,
and memory in the other, so i put it on the 'shelf',
which suspends .NET install :-/\.

Speak to my wife about the budget for the new
machine, but that still seems a ways off, like getting
a broadband connection too ... :-))

We can still enjoy 'playing' with FlightGear code,
even with our limited resources, and older tools.

Scanning through the makefile.am's that arrived in
the cvs update gives you a heads up on new/deleted files,
without subscribing ... but then i use 2 directories, like -
D:\FG091CVS, and
D:\FG091
and after the cvs update, i do my own src dst directory
compares, and only update if 'newer', and only then
if it has been a while since you 'touched' your work
copy, or viewed the actual difference.

Hope this helps.

rgds,

Geoff.