David Megginson wrote:
Now that we're rearranging the /controls/ subtree, it might be a good
time to clean up the naming.

I am all for (property naming) consistency and I am for selecting the tree layout now, and stick with it from now on.

There are a few property names I wouldn't have chosen, but I think it would be of the greatest importance to pick one, and get over it ;-)

1. Consistency
--------------

Most of the property names use lower case and hyphens ('-') as word
separators.  I suggest that we fix the following to be consistent:

  /controls/flight/BLC
  /controls/engines/engine[%d]/WEP
  /controls/fuel/tank[%d]/fuel_selector
  /controls/fuel/tank[%d]/to_engine
  /controls/fuel/tank[%d]/to_tank
  /controls/electric/APU-generator
  /controls/pneumatic/APU-bleed

Sound good to me.

2. Units --------

In flightgear, we use suffixes for most property names to indicate the
units (such as /position/altitude-ft or /environment/wind-speed-kt).
Many of the control properties, however, are either normalized values
(0:1 or -1:1) or boolean flags.

Would it make sense to add suffixes to these as well?

  /controls/flight/aileron-norm
  /controls/gear/gear-down-flag

(or something similar)?

Maybe we shouldn't even make a distinction between flags and normalized values and call every boolean -*-norm also.

3. Switches

Note that Curt's electrical system has a /controls/switches subtree,
while the recent rewrite has a /controls/lighting subtree.  We need to
choose one or the other.

Stick with switches, I expect more switches will be available that are non lighting related.

Erik