> I've never had the chance to use a grass runway -- how does it feel as
> you get close to takeoff speed?  We need to start modelling the bumps
> and jolts in FlightGear.

I've taken off one (in the back seat, though), it's surprisingly
smooth. I think it's the same effect as when you ride over a pothole
on a bicycle -- the faster you go, the smaller the bump. The wheel
simply has less time to sink into the hole. Also, by the time you
reach take-off speed, load on the undercarriage is fairly small
anyway.

The bumps might be a problem for sim pilots because the pilot would
tend to overcorrect them, not having the feedback of one's bottom that
one gets in a real plane. (...much the same as turbulence, I guess.)

This gives me an idea -- I think a more challenging thing to model on
grass strips is the tall grass hitting the canopy on landing in a
glider. Since the glider usually tilts forward a bit because of the
torque imposed by the wheelbrake, this looks quite impressive from
inside.

  Andras