Matthew Law writes:

 > It actually felt OK - far less bumpy than the C206's I've been in
 > on concrete runways.  I seem to remember that he held the yoke
 > quite far back early on in the take off run.  Would this help? But
 > I might be mistaken...

That would be a standard soft-field takeoff procedure.  He'd get the
plane up into ground effect as soon as he could, and then accelerate a
couple of feet above the runway until he hit a safe climb speed
(either Vx or Vy, depending on whether the climb path was obstructed).

I've simulated soft-field takeoffs on long, paved runways many times,
and used the technique for real a few times this winter to get up
before snow, ice, and slushy puddles in the middle of runway.  It
tends to freak out passengers, because the plane climbs one or two
feet then levels out, appearing to rush straight for the trees of
buildings off the end of the runway -- an advance passenger briefing
isn't a bad idea.

This would be a good time for a couple of plugs.  There are many
interesting books about flying, but there is one that you absolutely
need to buy and keep beside your bed as a bible:

  Wolfgang Langweise, STICK AND RUDDER

Langweise wrote this book in the early 1940's, but it is still in
print and is absolutely the best introduction I've ever seen to
flying, even though it was written at a time when most students
trained in fabric-covered tail draggers with control sticks; his book
was the starting point for a lot of modern training technique.  I
bought and read it only recently, but wish I had done so sooner.  It
may save you a few hours training if you read and keep rereading it.

Another good reference is John Denker's free, online book SEE HOW IT
FLIES:

  http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/how/htm/

Denker, like everyone else, is heavily influenced by STICK AND RUDDER,
but he goes into more technical detail on aerodynamics, and also deals
with modern navigation radios and so on.  He describes short- and
soft-field takeoffs in detail.

 > I'll make just one more post after lesson 2...

Post as often as you'd like -- we'll all be interested in hearing as
it goes.  If you're willing to make a 3D model of a 152 in Blender,
I'll be happy to cobble together a flight model for you.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/