On Wednesday 18 June 2003 02:00, Frederic BOUVIER wrote:
> WillyB wrote:
>
> > > and

> > > I only use the UV editor and it is very practical.
> >
> > Is that in Blender, or a seperate program?
>
> In blender.
> First, split the main window ( right click on the window separator )
> then in on window, choose the face icon,
> load your .rgb file.
>
> In the 3D view, stay in object(?) mode, not edit mode, select the object
> you want to texture, go to face mode (f), you will see dotted lines in the
> UV editor. They represent faces outlines, with a green line and a red one
> that you can see in 3D view. Assign the image you loaded by choosing
> it in the 'dashed' button. Move the vertices in the UV editor to place
> your texture accurately. You can see your work if you hit alt+z in the
> 3d view.

You mean move the model to match the texture?
Is there a way to move texture to match the model?
I play around with it and see what happens.

> You also seem to have a problem of face normal orientation. In face mode,
> goto edit mode (tab), select all vertices and hit ctrl+n to orient the
> normal outside. It it don't work ( you see the interior of the building
> and not the exterior, hit ctrl+shift+n )
>
> There is also normal interpolation that soften sharp edge. The only way
> I found to go around is to split objects in seperate ones.

Ok, I'd never messed with UV mode before, that made the texture samples
visible :)

Also I crtl-n 'd the selected roof vertices in (f) mode and that fixed the
roof, which was transparent in different places from different angles.

> >  >The drawback of the .ac
> > >
> > > format is that you can't assign more than one texture file to an
> > > object. Split your blender objects if it is the case.
> > > Their is another gotcha in the plib ac loader that can not recognize
> > > sharp edge and interpolate normal that makes square look spherical.

> > > You don't have to edit the .ac file for anything. You can remove the
> > > path before the texture file name if you want, but is is only cosmetic.
> >
> > Hmm..  it didn't have the texture line in the ac file at all, I had to
> > add it. Probably a difference in the versions of blender and the scripts.

> > > ???
> > > You don't include the camera in your model. Just use 1 unit for 1
> > > meter, and z up. The model will appear
> >
> > I don't think the camera gets added. Really not sure, have never seen it
> > or thought about it.
>
> Forget that. You don't have to tilt the model anyway.

> > > Post a screenshot link to see what's happening
> > >
> > > -Fred
> >
> > Here are a few screenshots:
> > http://24.121.17.106/fgfs/scenery/
> >
> > They are not spactacular models, boxes, I'm just learning how to do this
> > ;) As long as I don't give up can't help but get better! hehe
>
> Not so bad, but they seems to have no texture, only colors from material.
> Beware, if you assign a color to a face and also a texture, the face will
> have the texture tinted with the color. If you want to avoid that, remove
> the material from the face.
>
> -Fred

Yeah, I put the colored material on just for looks while I am learning more
about texturing ;)  I'm glad to know about the way the colors will effect the
textures when I get them on, that will save time and maybe could use it for
some effect or another later when I know more about making models.

Maybe we should start an fgfs scenery modeling list ;)
With most of the rest of the world to go, I'm sure there will be a lot more
questions!

Thanks for the help Fred :)

Re's
WillyB