> The B-52 is proving quite a tricky one to get right.  Some of the
> characteristics almost seem mutaully exclusive and it can be hard to
> reconcile them.  For example, I found max speeds of 554 kts @ 21000 ft and
> 495 kts at 46500 ft but I can't get a working solution that'll climb that

Neither is a problem if you're careful and patient: you have to keep
airspeed up all the time (if you use A/P, the best way of doing that
is to adjust target ascent speed as you go), and you'll have to burn
quite a bit of fuel in order to reach a decent altitude. If you take
off and ascend at, say, 300kt (full power all the way through), you'll
level out at 18000ft, but the plane will accelerate and be able to
climb further once you've lost some fuel. After several hours, you can
reach 45000ft or so, no big deal.

> characteristic are the flaps.  These are pretty big but only have two
> positions  - fully deployed (35deg) or fully retracted, with no in-between

Really? That's weird... I guess B52 pilots must be pretty well-trained
then...

  Andras