On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 04:07 pm, Alex Perry wrote:

I suspect that, since the vmap data was collected, the dips were drained
and thereby turned into the parkland that you see in the photo.

The problem is, that 'lake' is the Golden Gate Park. Having it be anything other than green parkland would be as wrong as having Central Park show up as water or sand in NY city! Note I'm not arguing that the park isn't low enough (or sandy enough) at the western end to have been tidal flats in the past, but it's been a park for a long time, and the land rises up (and gets less sandy) less than a quarter of the way east.

The impression I have is that no matter what texture is picked for 'default' landcover, it's going to be massively, obviously wrong much of the time.

James