>From what I know (which is almost nothing) the simple answer is: Carefully.

I had a neighbour who built model aircraft for a hobby, and would produce a top notch
aeroplane each winter. Having built a 12ft wingspan monster (with radio controlled
parachutist), he built a helicopter, which took 18 months rather than the usual 4-6
months. On the first test flight he got it 6 inches off the ground and knew he would
crash it very soon, so sold it without ever flying it again.

A quote I once heard:
"A helicopter is not an aircraft, it is ten thousand spare parts flying in close
formation."

Richard