Hello Innis,

Where people have given permission there is no problem at all but if a FG
document says "you have to get this artwork for yourself because we
aren't allowed to include it" then we're admiting that we don't have
permission to use it but that there's a loop-hole that allows individuals
to get around the restriction and we advocate that individuals do this.

Basically, if FlightGear can't get permission to use something then it
must be assumed that the author doesn't want it used in that way.

An exception to this would be if the author refused permission for it to
be included in FG but explicitly permitted it's use by individuals in FG.
An author might agree to this because they may only want to make the work
available through their own web-site or because they want to prevent
commercial use, which the GPL allows.  This permission would really have
to be explicitly sought and agreed though, to avoid accusations of trying
to side-step the intentions of the author.

The author probably wouldn't have a problem with individuals using the
artwork in FG if they decided to try it on their own initative but I
don't think that FG could get away with offically advocating it.

LeeE