David Megginson writes:

> Jonathan Richards writes:
>
>  > listgeo gives a whole shedload of information about the mapping,
>  > too much to report here unless anyone's interested, in which case
>  > mail me.
>
> I'd just like to take another opportunity to express my appreciation
> to the U.S. government for making so much geodata available free --
> without their resources and (enlightened) policies, it would be
> awfully hard to do any free GIS work, much less a Flight Simulator
> (even the international projects are often mainly U.S.-led and
> -funded).

Hear hear !

I downloaded one of the charts and yes undeed these are the real thing,
to include many introduced colors due to the scanning process.

I am not positive but I believe these are originally produced with either
16 or 20 distinct colors only.  It is probably worth while finding out, but
in any case I managed to produced a significantly smaller disk image
by running an adaptive color reducer that recolored the map to use 16
colors and then remaped the white replacement color back to white

This reduced the disk size to 17 megs from 40 with very little or no loss
in percieved image quality.

Note one should be able to get a moving map display out of these by
setting up a mapserver   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu and having
fgfs output a simple http request at fixed intervals. Of course Atlas
could be modified too but it's probably less work to use mapserver
since the geotiff support is already builtin

Regardless the toughest part of getting this going should be 'collar clipping'
the charts so as to get a seamless display :-)

Cheers

Norman