From: Jon Berndt
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2003 3:48 PM
Subject: RE: [Flightgear-devel] Airport vehicle (driving) sim

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Nick
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2003 2:39 PM
To: FlightGear developers discussions

Good afternoon again.
I just remembered another trick about zero-speed rolling models.  Below a threshold speed (say 1 m/s) you make the force proportional to the velocity.  That way you'll get zero force at zero speed.  The other thing that can happen if you don't is that you'll oscillate about the zero speed point.  This will stop that oscillation.

Hope it helps
What if you have wind? Then, your aircraft is experiencing forces and moments, yet the vehicle is not able to oppose the forces and moments if it is stationary. You get an equilibrium drift.

Been there, tried it. Didn't work.

The way I am leaning is to model it similar to the way the Langley C++ sim does it.  At low speeds, the XY plane gear forces are *made* to cause the aircraft to follow a specified path and rate determined by the gear characteristics and known turning radius.  This means though that even a tornadic wind would not move the aircraft sideways.