On Saturday 15 Nov 2003 9:24 pm, Paul Surgeon wrote:

> FlightGear would need several changes in various areas to support things
> like water landings.
>
> Firstly we would need to be able to specify various ground types.
>
> One way of doing this is to have a number attached to each polygon in the
> scenery. Say for 4 or 5 bits to allow 16 to 32 different land types.
>
> Then make a list of land types like :
<snip arbitrary list of land types> ...

> We need more developers.  :)

Yes, maybe, and I am not skilled enough to be one of them.  However, it seems
to me that picking a set of land (surface) types and coding them into the
scenery is not in the simulation spirit.  Surely we should encode the surface
characteristics (Young's modulus, coefficients of sliding and static
friction) and then calculate the interaction with the aircraft weight on the
landing gear (t[yi]res, skis, floats, fuselage if I've forgotten to drop the
wheels again), and do it that way?  Maybe modify the surface characteristics
for temperature.
</pipe dream>

Jonathan