TerraSync is now useful again.  If you are net connected while flying,
you can use it to fetch scenery from any where (just in time).  This
way you don't have to download huge chunks of scenery data, or endure
vast expanses of ocean where you know there should be land and
airports.  Just go fly, and let terrasync download just the scenery
you need, as you need it.

- I have placed the entire world scenery tree, unrolled at
  scenery.flightgear.org::scenery-0.9.2

- I have updated some of the default options for terrasync as well as
  it's readme.

Here's a quick summary of how to use it:

1. Start FlightGear with the following options (modified for your
   local installation paths):

   $ fgfs --atlas=socket,out,1,localhost,5500,udp
--fg-scenery=/usr/local/FlightGear/data/Scenery:/data1/scenery-0.9.2

   Note: feel free to use a differnt port number other than 5500, but
   make sure you specify the same port for both FlightGear and
   TerraSync.  Feel free to put this options in your ~/.fgfsrc (or
   system.fgfsrc) so you don't need to type them every time.  Notice
   that the --fg-scenery= option can take a set of scenery search
   paths.

2. Start terrasync (included with the FlightGear source tree) with
   something like the following options:

   $ nice terrasync -p 5500 -d /data1/scenery-0.9.2

   Notice that port 5500 needs to match the port that FlightGear is
   sending positional information out to.  And the destination scenery
   directory has to match one of the directories that FlightGear is
   looking at.

Spyware???

By the nature of how terrasync works (and the fact that the server
logs transfers.)  I can tell which 1x1 degree chunks of the world that
people have been flying through.  I don't think that is a bad thing
necessarily (just wait till we start doing a lot of multiplayer stuff
and are broadcasting our exact coordinates to some remote server.)
:-) If a lot of people use this "free service" it would actually be
interesting to post summaries or rankings of the most popular scenery
areas or scenery corridors.

Regards,

Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://www.flightgear.org