David Megginson writes:
> Possibly, but from what I've heard, the main reason for centreline lighting
> on runways is to support Cat II and III ILS approaches (down to a 50 ft
> ceiling); probably, the same applies to taxiway lighting, since you'll have
> ground ops in *extremely* low visibility.

I was actually talking about the green centerline lighting on
taxiways.  DAFIF and FAA do a pretty good job of defining this sort of
thing for the actual runways, but little data is available for
taxiways.

> My home airport, Ottawa, is fairly busy (including two ILS approaches and
> lots of big airliners), but we do not have runway or taxiway centreline
> lighting anywhere.  Montreal/Dorval has centreline lighting on one runway, I
> think, but I don't remember seeing it on the taxiways when I flew in at
> night, and that's Canada's #2 airport.
>
> I think that the best thing to do would be to leave taxiway centreline
> lighting out by default, and only include it when you have positive
> information that it's present in real life (probably only a few airports in
> any country).  I'd be very surprised to see it anywhere that wasn't a major
> airline hub.

Agreed.

Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://www.flightgear.org