Matthew Law wrote:

On 14:52 Thu 18 Dec , Alan King wrote:

Also I'm assuming the yoke on most planes has a bit more throw than +-2", but that's about the limit of what's practical with my current hardware so it'll probably do ok. I could get 6" travel or so max, just gets a bit more trouble to do.

It's 16-18cm from full down to full up elevator on the couple of C152's I've measured and
roughly +-90 degrees of roll axis.

The 6" won't really be that hard to get, since that's closer may as well get it. I can do continuous roll axis with little trouble so the +-90 is easy enough. Actually takes a few extra parts to put in the stops. Rudder is the one that needs some serious stops though with your legs working against it. Feels good so far just have to link the pedals together now.

BTW, I'm not anal. Honest! I'm just building a yoke of my own so I measured these recently.

If you're in the right ball park for these figures IMHO you'll be just fine. As David

quite rightly said, it's the feedback from the controls which varies according to many

parameters that is by far the hardest thing to simulate. I'm going to use elastic

cotton-covered 'bungee' cord to centre and resist on my yoke. Mainly because springs

are quite difficult to come by and can be noisy to boot.

Well the springs are plentiful enough at the local Ace, but do make a bit of noise. Won't matter much down at your feet on the rudder, but bungee may be the better choice, may need a pulley etc to shorten it up and keep it in my form factor for the yoke. I've got a thousand or two motors on hand of different types, so I could do some force. But my primary goal is to get control seperation and a general idea of feel, beyond a certain point it's simply more effective to stop simulating and hop in a plane to get the real feel. Plus it'll be better to keep it reasonably simple to build so most can get it done since I'm looking to put up plans.

Later,
Alan