On Wednesday 24 December 2003 16:53, David Culp wrote:

> > After that I went to met up with
> > a fuel tanker to try and refuel.  Trying to hook up with the tanker
was
> > the most challenging part of the experience.  I spent what felt like
10
> > minutes trying to speedup, slowdown, noseup, nosedown, left, right
until
> > I gave up.
>
> I've only refueled in 707's, but:
>
> Everybody has trouble at first, but aileron and elevator response are
almost
> instantaneous, and the control surfaces are sized and scheduled to give
> certain amount of roll or pitch rate, so that's probably not where the
delay
> comes from.
>
> When it comes to roll control the main problem is the receiving
airplane's
> interaction with the wingtip vortices from the tanker.  I don't know if
their
> simulator models this effect.  If it does, it could be mistaken for lack
of
> roll response.
>
> Elevator response is not a problem usually.  In fact, it's usually too
touchy
> at first because the CG has moved aft as fuel was burned prior to
refueling.
> As you take on fuel the CG moves forward and the pitch control becomes
less
> sensitive.  I don't know if swing-wing airplanes do this, as they have
their
> own bag of CG problems and solutions.
>
> Speed response is pretty slow due to the airplane's inertia and the
engines'
> spool-up time.  The problem gets worse as the receiving airplane gets
> heavier.
>
> The interaction of the above may cause one or more channels in your
brain to
> drop out for a second, which could also be perceived as slow response.
This
> also happens when you first try to learn an instrument scan.
>
> You can practice refueling to some extent in FlightGear using the AI
tanker.
> There is an annoying problem though, in that as you get close to the
tanker
> it appears to jump in 30-foot leaps (so you can't *really* practice
> refueling).  Also, we don't model downwash, wingtip vortices, weight
change,
> and CG travel.
>

> Dave
> --
> ****************************
> David Culp
> davidculp2[at]comcast.net

I've been wondering if that could be smoothed a bit by using a running
average instead of using the raw data as it comes in.  This would
introduce a degree of lag, of course, depending on the data rate and
number of samples.  Considering that at close ranges it's pretty
unusable, a half-second or less lag - say ten samples at a sample rate of
30/sec - might be acceptable.

Just a thought, of course:)

Happy xmas all.

LeeE