On Saturday 10 January 2004 02:35, Jim Wilson wrote:
> Paul Surgeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> > On Saturday, 10 January 2004 00:35, Erik Hofman wrote:
> > > No, sorry. AC_EARORP is the published offset from CG to where the
> > > forces act. For the F-16 that would be 35% chord (and CG is 25% chord).
> >
> > Just *maybe* I got it this time around.  :)
> >
> > So any distance in the FDM is just an offset from (0,0,0)?
> >
> > If that is true I could offset all the distances in the FDM by an
> > arbitrary value (let's say 1000 inches) and the FDM will still behave the
> > same? I could pick a point 10 meters in front of the plane and measure
> > everything from there too.
> > In fact I could define all the distances using negative values as well
> > (thinking in terms of 2nd Cartesian quadrant).
> >
> > The way I'm understanding all of this is that the nose of the aircraft
> > CAN be used as the origin of the FDM but doesn't have to be.
> > I could just as well work from the tail and just enter negative offsets.
> >
> > Correct?
>
> That is mostly correct.  There is also a visual effect that occurs when you
> render a 3D scene with the camera tracking an object.  The point you are
> tracking always appears stationary.  Examples of this in FlightGear are the
> "helicopter view" and the "tower view".  If the origin is the nose of the
> aircraft then the camera moves up and down with the nose.  In the air or
> from a distance this makes it look like the airplane is wagging like a
> dog's tail from the nose, when it really is not.
>
> Take a look at the p51d as an example of an aircraft with 0,0,0 at the
> nose. In the file p51d-yasim-set.xml there are several "target offset"
> settings (one for each view) that represent the distance from the nose to a
> very approximate center of gravity.  If you want to see the effect, then
> take those target offsets out.
>
> As you will see, this is a design weakness (my fault).  The model
> configuration will always need to be updated whenever more views are
> configured.  Note that this is a problem with the camera (the viewer code),
> and not the model.  It only needs to be defined per model because of the
> different sizes aircraft come in.
>
> One solution would be to define this particular offset at a global viewer
> level, and the other probably more useful solution would be to allow
> parameters in the FDM config that defines the actual location where
> lon/lat/alt is reported at as a distance on x/y/z axes from the aircraft's
> nose.  The 3D artist then only needs to know what those values are for
> positioning the model and encoding the animations.
>
> Best,
>
> Jim

Heh - after just a little more thought on this:  wouldn't it be nice if the
origin could be made dynamic?  i.e it could be changed in flight.

I think the most difficult part would be deciding on how to control it - you'd
probably have to change into a special mode to do it because all the input
devices are already being used to control the a/c.

LeeE