On Saturday 10 January 2004 17:45, Lee Elliott wrote:
> On Saturday 10 January 2004 17:36, David Culp wrote:
> > I was flying from Philly to Chicago yesterday morning at O'Dark Thirty
> > and saw the Space Station fly by.  It was slightly brighter then the
> > planet it was going past (Jupiter? Saturn?), and I assume it was the ISS
> > rather than some other satellite.  Anyway, does anyone think an
> > AISatellite class would be useful?  I don't know if placing an object in
> > FlightGear at low Earth orbit would work.  I don't know if it would
> > reflect the sun, like the real satellite does, or whether this would have
> > to be faked by lighting it.
> >

> > Dave
>
> Heh - I was thinking about trying to model some Northern/Southern Lights
> but I haven't got into the scenery side of FG yet, and currently, thanks to
> ATI's drivers, FG crashes if I try to fly at night:/.
>
> Using the fade/blend texture & animation methods, it could look quite nice.

Infact, it could be done using the AI ship stuff, providing the texture/
animation features will still work.

The model would be pretty simple - just a wavy curtain shape - so a strip of
rectangles should suffice.  If each rectangle was an individual object, each
one could be 'hinge' joined using cascaded rotate functions, so the shape
could be changed over time.

The textures would be transparent and emissive, so they could fade in and out,
and then the AI function could slowly move them around the polar regions.

I'd have a go myself but, as I mentioned, I'm currently getting crashes when
trying to fly in darkness.

LeeE