Lee Elliott wrote:
Heh - it seem to me that most of the kids here (UK) just speak pretty bad english;)

That depends on how you look at it. You could say that english is whatever english speaking people are speaking these days. Or you could flip that around and come up with some defined structure of english as it existed at some point in time (and then compare that with what people are speaking today.)

Of course you could argue all day long about current usage being unclear or imprecise since (err I mean because) "proper" english is usually much more clear and precise. I'd suggest that we shoot any one who says "A whole 'nother ..." instead of "Another whole ..." but I catch myself saying it too.

There are a lot of people who speak english as a 2nd or 3rd or 4th language who at least right better english in their emails than I could ever hope to. :-) Having studied spanish every year of my life since probably kindergarten up through my junior year of high school, and now not having any hope of being able to follow (or participate in) a real time spanish conversation, I have a lot of respect for those that pop back and forth between multiple languages. And I appreciate all of you who switch to english now and then so that I can understand what you are saying.

Curtis Olson   Intelligent Vehicles Lab         FlightGear Project