Erik Hofman wrote:

Russell Suter wrote:

It's been a while since I've worked on SGI equipment. I'm familiar with the O2 but I don't know what the video capabilites are.

The hardware accelerated OpenGL compares roughly to a TNT2. Performance can increase when using a faster CPU.

The last boxes I worked on were an Oxygen MXE and an Onyx 2 with 2 IR pipes and 4 channels. If you are familiar
with these, how does your box stack up? I'm curious because I have a friend that does research on a Cessna 172 simulator
that has an Onyx/IR with 3 channels. His simulator models are crap and his visual database is worse. I'm trying to talk
him into trying FlightGear but I have zero idea of what performance would be like.

Take a look here:
http://www.a1.nl/~ehofman/fgfs/comparison.html

Ouch! But that's much more than I could have hoped in terms of information. Thank you very much! What would be
the visibility for this test? They currently max at 7 NM.

I was most surprised with:

Onyx2 IR2E R10K/250 4MB L2 4RM9/64MB: 4.79

This table is based on performance reports from FlightGear users who have sgi equipment. But be aware that this is about the default startup position (stationary at KSFO) which seems a bit heavy on the scenery for alder hardware.

Actually, although they want the Bay Area some time in the future, their current database covers South Western U.S. but
the projection is a poorly implemented Lambert-Conformal Conic projection. So, they really only have database latitudinally
along a thin strip along the middle. They have only 2 airports with even a handful of buildings. Their database does, however,
have lineals (roads, rivers, railroads).

There is a configuration file that can be used to fine tune FlightGear a bit on older video hardware which might give a performance improvement up to 500%.

I saw that. What's the units for visibililty? The file shows 10000.0, but what are the units?

BTW, how do I determine what my visibility is? And, how do I reduce the fog at far clipping plane?

You could use 'z' and 'Z' to change the fog settings.

Yea, that changes the settings but how do I know what the value is set to?

Thanks!!!

--
Russ

Conway's Law: "The structure of a system tends to mirror the
structure of the group producing it."
     -- Mel Conway Datamation (1968)