Roy wrote:

> > > What's inside the black box? That's what I want to configure.

Innis replied:

> Why???.Thats why they are called a black box.
> And unless you work for Bendix/King or one of the other black box
> manufactures you will never know.After all what is in the black box
> is there bread and butter.

First, For some aircraft the autopilot block diagrams can be found. For
those it would be nice to be able to model the autopilot mechanization as
closely as possible.

Second, for some other aircraft the mechanization of the autopilot might be
proprietary (or even classified), but the designers might want to use
FlightGear to test the implementation (even though the general public would
never see the result).

Third - and this happens for JSBSim periodically - a student or researcher
might want to use "building blocks" to design a special purpose autopilot or
flight control system (or a portion of one) for a thesis or other paper in
an academic setting.

Most people probably won't care to what level of detail the autopilot
functionality is mechanized in FlightGear. However, once a general purpose
heading A/P is crafted, or a wing leveler, etc., then those items as
specified in a configuration file could be reused. They could also be easily
tweaked.

Jon