On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:45:18 -0000, Jim Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

But to go back to the C172 example, does anyone actually understand how this
issue is handled in a cessna autopilot or any of the others that might be
installed in a 172? Will it stall the aircraft? Or...hmmm...trying to
remember... does the 172 even have an AP for the pitch axis?

A quick browse to the Cessna web site reveals that the C172 can be delivered with the "KAP 140 Two Axis w/Altitude preselect Autopilot" from Bendix/King. I just downloaded the Pilot's Guide from this link:

http://www.n612sp.com/KAP%20140%20AUTOPILOT.pdf

After browsing through this document, it is my understanding that the autopilot will stall the aircraft because it has no input telling it speed or angle-of-attack. I think Pilot's Guides could be waluable references when we begin to implement real world autopilots.

--
Roy Vegard Ovesen