> From: Erik Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Innis Cunningham wrote:
> > Erik Hofman  writes
> >> Is it true that apron/platform/hardstand lights should be red instead
> >> of blue?
> > If we are talking about area lighting I would think yellow to
> > light orange.
> I meant the edge lighting (just like the taxiway edge lights are blue).

In the U.S., the rule is as follows.  It is either similar or identical
to the ICAO rules because other airports have lighting looking similar.

Edge lighting that is at ground level is blue, both for taxiways and aprons.
However, unusual truncation of those areas, as often occurs for construction,
is in red and is often brighter because they normally use the same light
bulbs and a different filter (and lightbulbs have more red than blue).

Similarly, permanent obstructions such as walls, that are risks to be hit
with wings rather than the edge of the area for use by the wheels, will
have red obstruction lights on them.  Blue edge lights are then omitted.

Finally, permanenent lighting is often recessed into the tarmac.
For lights stuck on obstructions/construction, this is not done.
When a long way away, and standing at ground level, the recessed
lights can be invisible so you can only see the ramp edge indication
if it coincides with something that needs a red non-recessed light.