On 1/29/04 at 10:08 PM Matthew Law wrote:

>The ones I have are from www.visualflight.co.uk and are about 20GBP per
>region.  I bought the regions aroung my airfield to help with VFR practice
>in MSFS but I'd like to see them in FGFS much more :-)  An extension
>script to rip these into FG for people who have purchased the images would
>be useful...

If you look at the TerraGear list archives over the last few months there's
a number of discussions on how to add small areas of photos to scenery.
Larger areas would require support within FlightGear for scenery texture
paging.  It would be nice to know whether visualflight regard buying the
MSFS scenery and converting it for personal FlightGear use as fair use or
not.  I'd be somewhat reluctant to write a specific conversion script
otherwise.

>I believe they are taken from an aircraft at about 5000ft so the detail is
>much better than sat images.  I don't know of anything in the US done in a
>similar way though.

The whole of Massechucetts is available - Google massechucetts (sp?)
orthophotography or similar and you'll find it.  Free, but I'm not sure if
GPL-compatable - non-commercial use only might be mentioned, but I can't
remember clearly.

Cheers - Dave