I understand the fear that many companies have of open source software,
and the concern that the product that is their bread and butter might be
illegally transferred among those users.  However, there's another side
to this that could be very positive for both sides.  Just like giving
away "free samples" at the grocery store is designed to sell more of
that item, it seems to me like it could be a huge advantage to a company
that deals with land imaging to donate a "sample" of their product to an
open source project like FlightGear.

I'm not talking about giving away the rights to all of their images for
free here.  A more sensical approach might be to license, for no charge,
a small chunk of scenery (like the bay area, for a good example) to
users of FlightGear for personal use.  The license would of course
retain copyright, forbid redistribution of any form, etc.  Just because
the software is open source doesn't mean the scenery has to be, right?
The scenery could even be distilled down or lower quality versions of
their actual product.  The company's name could appear in the
acknowledgements for the software and maybe gain a spot on the home page
for such a donation.  The point would be to create something that looks
really cool that would both show off their product as well as enhance
the flightgear experience.

My speculation is that very little business would be lost to people
trying to illegally copy this limited set of images when it can be
licensed for free from the company's web page.  Rather, it might be a
good demonstration of their product that brings them more business from
people looking to purchase higher quality images of other places besides
the default flightgear airport.

Just a thought.  In reality, it might be too much to expect a company
to work this closely with the feared open source community, but I do see
some real potential for mutual benefit.  Maybe I've just got my head in
the 3d virtual clouds.  (Just enabled 3d clouds in flightgear for the first
time today... very nice!)

-Adam