On Wednesday 04 February 2004 17:40, Matthew Law wrote:

> The simplest, very crude way I imagine
> would be to calculate a bounding box around each model and look for overlap
> of two or more boxes each frame.

I don't like such a solution Microsoft uses such thing in their MS Flight
Simulator and it is really ugly.
You can't do acrobatic flying with this,
because there are situations where such a solution would simulate a crash into
a building, airplane etc. even if this crash wasn't possible in real life.

> If it's quicker it might be prudent to
> only calculate the bounding box if the two aircraft are within a certain
> distance of each other.

The only correct solution would be to use the complete 3d model of the
aircraft as a complex bounding box.

> What are people's thoughts on this?  Do we even need collision ?

I think yes it will be someday a necessary feature.

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.