Erik Hofman wrote:

I know that in Europe they recently added a requirement for collision detection after two civilian aircraft hit each other when the ATC had given inappropriate directions.

Is that a requirement for TCAS, or for something else in addition to TCAS?

The copilot on one of those planes was a Canadian, so we heard a fair bit about the crash in the news. The worst part was that Swiss ATC tried to cover up their mistake, but the ever-efficient Germans happened to have tapes to prove the Swiss controller's error.

That said, I'm sorry to hear that the Swiss controller died. Was it in any way related to the accident?

All the best,

David