Lee Elliott wrote:

Ultimately though, I agree that the aim has got to be for a 3D cockpit, with 3D instruments, for proper flying.

That's the unfortunate part of this whole debate -- the confusing names.
Instead of calling it the "2D animation code" and the "3D animation code", we should call it the "old animation code" and the "new animation code".

The old animation code currently has two features missing from the new animation code:

1. text display
2. mouse actions

The new animation code, is tightly integrated with plib, runs faster, and can (optionally) work in three dimensions as well as two. It can still animate layers of textures just like the old animation code does.

Fixing #1 (text display) should be fairly easy. Fixing #2 (mouse actions) will be a bit harder -- it's quite doable in plib (PrettyPoly did it), but no one has been able to give me any practical information on how to accomplish it, besides pointing me to entirely unhelpful code fragments in plib and ppe. If someone could just write a function that returns the nearest ssgEntity under a vector projected into the scene graph from a screen coordinate, we could do the rest.

All the best,

David