On Saturday 28 February 2004 13:31, David Megginson wrote:
> Lee Elliott wrote:
> > Ultimately though, I agree that the aim has got to be for a 3D cockpit,
> > with 3D instruments, for proper flying.
>
> That's the unfortunate part of this whole debate -- the confusing names.
> Instead of calling it the "2D animation code" and the "3D animation code",
> we should call it the "old animation code" and the "new animation code".
>
> The old animation code currently has two features missing from the new
> animation code:
>
> 1. text display
> 2. mouse actions
>
> The new animation code, is tightly integrated with plib, runs faster, and
> can (optionally) work in three dimensions as well as two.  It can still
> animate layers of textures just like the old animation code does.
>
> Fixing #1 (text display) should be fairly easy.  Fixing #2 (mouse actions)
> will be a bit harder -- it's quite doable in plib (PrettyPoly did it), but
> no one has been able to give me any practical information on how to
> accomplish it, besides pointing me to entirely unhelpful code fragments in
> plib and ppe.  If someone could just write a function that returns the
> nearest ssgEntity under a vector projected into the scene graph from a
> screen coordinate, we could do the rest.
>

> All the best,
>

> David

Mouse actions are going to be essential for a lot of the panel instruments -
quite apart from any custom ones I might want to set up.  Standard
instruments like the radio and nav stuff needs to be re-tuned - even the
altimeter needs to be able to be calibrated, and it can't all be done through
the keyboard.

I guess xml guis could be used - each instrument could have it's own
controlling xml gui.  It wouldn't be as quick or easy to use while in flight
though.  Is it possible to decrement or increment values from an xml gui, or
do all values need to be typed into the correct box?

LeeE