On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:11:59 -0000, Matthew Law
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

>If you are modelling one of the carburettor-engined spitfires it would be
>nice if the engine cuts-out under negative G :-)
>
>All the best,

Merlins or Griffins were both carb engines and there were
therefore NO non-carb Spitfires!

But be careful of the Mod state. IIRC there were unmodified
engines, engines with a 'field mod' to reduce the problem and
later Mks of Merlin (and therefore Spitfire) built with a new
Carb which gave much more -ve G time.

In the very early Marks there were several different Props
fitted to the same version, often the same aircraft, giving
different performances. IIRC the main change was that early MkI
aircraft had fixed-pitch wooden props which were later replaced
with variable (two position) pitch and then constant-speed metal
items.

Be careful of the Mark. Sometime in the past I posted the weight
and power differences between the versions on this list. They
were spectacular. Watch for Seafire vs Spitfire Mks mismatch as
well - a Seafire II does _not_ correspond to a Spitfire II.

Then there are the various Tropical Filters, field and factory
fitted...

Early in the war at least, the camouflage pattern changed 'hand'
with serial number - don't put an 'even' pattern on an 'odd'
serialed aircraft!

There are several web sites out there to help you through this
maze.

Rick
--

Help the Waterway Recovery Group to help restore the Uks canal network
Make a donation to the 'Right Tool' Appeal