[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Curts,

I am trying to undestand the aircraft development.

I started reading the UFO design, I read ufo.cxx and I would like to know if there is a tool to change the UFO model.

Hi Carlos,

If you are you trying to create a new aircraft, then for most normal cases you shouldn't need to do anything with the code.

I've never personally created an aircraft, but in general you need to:

1. Configure the flight dynamics model. Typically you would pick JSBSim if you have a lot of detailed flight information and need/want to match the original plane very closely. Otherwise, if you have sketchy flight information or want something that flies reasonably well, and want to get going quickly, YASim is a good choice. Both involve creating an ascii config file with the proper parameters.

2. Make a 3d model. If you want a pretty picture from an outside view you can create a 3d model and texture it. You can set up gear and control surfaces and do a variety of complex and cool animations. Check out the gear on the yf23 or seahawk which includes animated suspention.

3. Create an instrument panel. You can build a fully interactive 3d cockpit if you like. People have put in pilots with animated arms and legs and done other crazy stuff. 3d cockpits can be fully "clickable" and interactive if you set them up that way.

4. Take care of some of the details like creating a custom sound configuration if you want, creating a detailed electrical model if you like, and setting up the various autopilot modes and tweaking the gains for your aircraft.

None of these require any programming or compiling. You can do all of it, including building custom instruments by editing text files and creating objects in your favorite 3d modeling package.

The J3 Cub might be a reasonably simple example to look at for just starting out.

Regards,

Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://www.flightgear.org