On Wednesday 17 March 2004 16:37, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> > 1. I'm growing less enthused with our aircraft alias naming system.  I
> > don't mind that we have the capability, but it becomes annoying to
> > have 8 names for the same aircraft, even 2 names for the same aircraft.
>
> As I understand it, aliases are primarily a convenience for the command
> line typer folks, but they severerly clutter the aircraft browser in the
> fgrun launcher.  I propose that the fgrun launcher simply ignores all
> the alias entries and only presents the primary entries.  Then we can
> discuss changing the alias system later (if we decide to.)  I don't
> think we should eliminate the ability to set up aircraft aliases, but
> down the road we may want to do some reorganization.  The J3 cub has at
> least five entries for one single aircraft.  Aliases make more sense if
> have multiple versions of a 747 for instance and we want to select which
> version you get when you request a 747.  Flipping that around and giving
> 5 different names to a single aircraft when we only have one of them
> seems a little out of control.
>
> > 2. We have a *lot* of aircraft in the base package.  Some of these are
> > really nice, some of these are not even close to basic functionality.
> > Most are probalby best considered "works in progress."  (Now this is
> > perfectly fine, and is what CVS is for.)  However, for the next
> > release I would like to just include a subset of the available
> > aircraft, picking and choosing the best or most interesting ones.
>
> Based on the discussion of this thread, here is the current list I have
> assembled for inclusion, notice that I err on the side of inclusion
> rather than exclusion which I think is fine, especially if we unclutter
> the fgrun aircraft browser.
>
> Large Commercial Transports
> ===========================
> Boeing 737
> Boeing 747
> Airbus A320
> AN-225
>
> Small Civilian Aircraft
> =======================
> Piper J3 Cub
> Cessna 172
> Cessna 182
> Cessna 310
> Piper pa28-161
>
> Military Fighters/Trainers
> ==========================
> P-51
> Hawker Hunter
> A4 Skyhawk
> J22
> F-16
> Seahawk
> TSR-2
> YF-23
> T-38
> Sopwith Camel
> T-6A Texan II
> North American OV-10A Bronco
>
> Large Military
> ==============
> B-52
>
> Experimental/Research
> =====================
> Ornithopter
> [...]

I'd be inclined to hold off including the Sea Hawk, TSR-2 and B-52, for the
time being at least.  The Sea Hawk is currently getting a proper panel,
speed-brakes and some missing gear doors, courtesy of Vivian M.  The TSR-2
isn't really mainstream and I doubt it would have much relevance to anyone
who wasn't already interested in it.  It really needs a look-ahead TF
function to be flown properly too.  Finally, the B-52 3D model is pretty
crude and badly needs re-building - I'm not sure it'd be a good advert for FG
in it's current state.

The lack of anything like a proper panel for the AN225 isn't very good either
and unless it was clearly marked as a development/wip a/c it could result in
more criticism of FG than compliments.

The same applies to the YF-23 although here I could probably get away with
just making something up as it was a prototype.  However, I think both the
prototypes are now in museums in the U.S, so if anyone can get some cockpit
shots...

I've also got fairly effective auto take-off and landing functions for the
YF-23 now, controlled by some awful Nasal hackery - I'll send you an update a
little later this evening.

LeeE