On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:07:34 -0500, David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It's a (relatively) simple matter to make instruments calibrated in millibars instead of inches of mercury; localizing dialog boxes will be a bit trickier, though.

In general, I think that our policy should be to follow the nationality of the callsign or markings of each aircraft's 3D model: North American aircraft (like the default 172 and my Warrior model) should use inches of mercury; European aircraft should use millibars. If or when we model old Soviet aircraft, we might need to calibrate the airspeed indicators in kilometers per hour and the altimeters in meters as well (I'm not certain).

Eventually, then, someone will need to do a repaint of some of the common aircraft with UK markings and a slightly different panel.

All the best,

David

It would be nice to eventually be able to map the relevant instruments to any of these units. In the interests of internationalisation, you understand :-)

Incidentally, I believe that Eastern block aircraft flown here have to have an altimeter in feet/millibars onboard.

All the best,

Matt.