Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> If SDL can't switch to other virtual desktops when running
> fullscreen/no-window decorations, then perhaps would there be a way
> to toggle between fullscreen/window mode so that once you are
> running in a standard window again, then you can hotkey between
> virtual desktops.

OK, I'm starting to understand the issues now.

There are *two* dimensions to the notion of a window being
"fullscreen": The state of being undecorated, and mapped on top of the
other windows; and the current video mode being different from the
normal desktop one.

So "switching out of fullscreen mode" requires that both states be
reset.  The first (unmapping the top window) is traditionally handled
by the window manager, but the second (setting the video mode) *must*
be done by the application.  The WM doesn't know what the current mode
is, or that it has been changed.  The glut stuff works only because it
can't set the video mode, so nothing needs to change.

The problem is that SDL isn't prepared to "switch out" of modes like
this.  It presumes that it will run to completion and then exit.  We
could probably fix it to (1) not grab the keyboard events, and (2)
switch back to the desktop mode on an Unmap or FocusOut event.  But
then we'd be requiring a bleeding edge SDL build, which negates most
or all of the compatibility advantages.  Apparently none of the other
SDL users care enough about this feature to complain about it.

The idea of writing a custom "fg_os_x11.cxx" is starting to sound
better and better...

Andy