Andy Ross wrote:

Sadly, no.  Even if it were, that's basically a hack to get around
other issues.  The Right Thing is to change the video mode, throw up a
desktop-integrated fullscreen window, detect when the window is
unmapped or loses keyboard focus, and reset the resolution to get back
to the desktop.

Glut does the desktop integration thing by ignoring the video mode
issue. SDL handles mode switching by taking over the desktop. No one
does both.

What if I asserted that I thought that having applications change the desktop resolution was horribly wrong. As a user/admin I set my desktop resolution to what I want it to be. I don't want applications messing with that, I just want them to use whatever resolution I've set up. In the case of FlightGear, I want it to use *all* the available screen realestate and not have window decorations. I'd rather it didn't screw with my video modes since I've already set them up how I want.

I sense our minds are in two entirely different places here and we aren't understanding each other here.

Personally I don't care if SDL can change video modes and take over my machine. I don't want to run in that mode. I want to run in a windowed mode so my app plays nice with my window manager, I just want a window that fills the entire desktop with no WM decorations so it *looks* full screen. And it is "full screen" in the sense that it fills the entire screen, it just hasn't taken over control of my computer and locked X11 into a basement closet. Are you saying that can't be done with SDL? How can this be a "wrong way" to run an app?

Curtis Olson   Intelligent Vehicles Lab         FlightGear Project