Arnt Karlsen said

> >  Richard Keech

> > > The Hunter in FlightGear does a passable version of heat
> > > blur. However, it terminates suddenly a couple of aircraft
> > > lengths from the tailpipe.  I also get a strange artifact if
> > > clouds are behind the
> > > exhaust plume; the clouds are absent immediately behind the
> > > exhaust plume.
> > >

> > That was a first try on the heat plumes within the existing
> > capabilities of FGFS. I intend to do a little more work on
> it in due
> > course. I'm not giving it a high priority, since it is
> really only eye
> > candy.
>
> ..I would be more hesitant in dismissing this as "only eye
> candy", as exhaust heat has a considerable effect on the
> downwash, as like
> in how far it drops, that should be felt on entering etc such
> flow fields in at least formation flight and air-to-air
> tanking.  I agree making contrails is making eye candy, though.  ;-)
>
> > Fred Bouvier has been doing some work on the interaction
> with clouds.
> > BTW, transparent cockpit canopies also make clouds disappear.

Let me re-phrase that. At the moment the jet heat plumes are only eye candy.
There is no underlying physics. If or when we get around to the
thermodynamics etc., we can model heat plumes properly. It would be nice: we
could take into account exhaust re-ingestion for the Harrier and for helos.

Regards

Vivian Meazza