Hi,

do engine manufacturers typically torture their engines on the test
bench, thereby producing tables describing the engine performance (power
output depending on manifold pressure and RPM, for example)?  If yes,
are they typically inclined to give these data to interested third
parties?

The tables found in POH's are, more often than not, a bit sparse.

Are there any ``rule of thumb'' type formulas describing piston engine
power output?

Specifically, I'm interested in a Lycoming IO-360-C1C6, but before
contacting them I'd prefer to make sure not to make a fool out of
myself.  :-)

Kind regards
-Gerhard
--
Gerhard Wesp             o o           Tel.: +41 (0) 43 5347636
Bachtobelstrasse 56       |       http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~gwesp/