Boris Koenig wrote:

By the way, the addition of a plugin architecture has pushed all major
flight simulators tremendously forward, I don't even mention stuff like
Microsoft's FS, but I suggest to have a look at X-Plane: Since the
author added support for basic plugins, there are numerous projects
to interface with X-Plane, some of them concentrating on multiplayer
stuff - others on specific things like integrated preflight-support.

By saying this you imply to be looking at FlightGear in a much too commercial way. If the source is open there is little need for a plugin system. Frederic is right that a plugin system is actually in contrast with the GPL (FlightGear's license), that requires everything to be opened when using some piece of GPL software within your project.

Now you could argue that you will be opening up the source of the plugin, but I'm not so sure about others.

Erik